REGULAR MEETING – April 1, 2015

The El Rancho Florida Metropolitan District held their regular monthly meeting on April 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM.   The regular meeting was attended by the following Board members:

Steve Swisher – President

Robin Boucher – Secretary

David Shipps – Treasurer

Gary Skiba – Director

Also, present for the meeting were: Robert Ludwig – Water Operator, Rex Emenegger – Grader Operator and Marsha Moreland – Administrator.  The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM.


A motion was made, moved and passed to approve the Minutes of March 5, 2015 regular meeting.


  • Nicole Fox – Robert stated that their lot is impacted by the Distribution Improvements project.  Their sewer line runs along the scar and her leech field is on the north side of the lot.  Construction will begin at the river so Fox’s lot will be near the end of the project.  David Shipps reviewed information on the beetle infestation and there is little impact with spraying or cutting.  Beetle infestation just has to run its course basically.  Fox had asked for spraying of her trees for the beetles.  No decision has been made yet by the Board.
  • Distribution Improvements Project – A water leak was found and caused a large amount of air in the lines for a week.  No valves are in place that can release the trapped air.  The leak location was by Schmidt’s on Cassidy Drive and another at Donna Edward’s lot as well.  When the project is completed there will be valves and hydrants that will help in releasing the air in the lines when leaks occur.

The Notice of Award and the Notice to Proceed have been issued.  Mobilization of the equipment will begin on April 17th.  There is approximately 3 miles of pvc pipe ordered that will be stored in the road ROW’s.

With the bid coming in lower than anticipated, Robert has asked Bud Smith for a legal opinion as to the remaining $400,000 that could complete additional work with the distribution system improvements.  (Reference to Eric Worker’s e-mail that is attached was given)  Robert will keep the Board posted as to any changes/opinions that come thru.


  1. The Board made, moved and seconded a motion to ratify the Resolution for the Audit Exemption for 2014.
  2. Accounts Receivable – Marsha reviewed the delinquent accounts with the Board.  A check was received in the amount of $8,115 for past due fees on Dahlstrom’s account.
  3. Accounts Payable – A motion was made, moved and passed approving the checks presented for signing.
  4. Shield’s Property – There is nothing more to report at this time other than the house and lot are for sale.

ROADS: (Rex’s road report is attached)

  • The Tyner Ditch needs cleaning because it will flood the roadway if not cleaned.  Gary offered to speak with Shumway about cleaning the ditch.
  • Rex explained what work is being done on the ditches for the Laterals on the irrigation ditch.  There is about $3200 worth of work and $500 on erosion of the ditch on Pioneer Circle just east of Pioneer Place.  Rex asked if the Metro. Board would consider paying the $500 since it was due to plugged culverts causing the erosion on Pioneer Circle.

A motion was made, moved and passed agreeing that the Metro. District should reimburse the HOA for $500 expense to clean up erosion damage on Pioneer Circle.

A motion was made, moved and passed to do cleaning of the culvert on Ranchos Florida Drive at Marsha Stephans’ ASAP before construction work begins.  The cleaning may be able to be done with the equipment of Edgemont’s.  Robert will check into it.

  • Rex would like to see STOP signs at every intersection.  The placement of the signs was originally designated by the La Plata County’s Engineer years ago.  More discussion in upcoming meetings.
  • The aerators are working at the pond.  The HOA has dumped sand at the beach area.
  • Prairie Dogs – This is the time they are out having pups.  Two solutions to control:  Gassing them or poisoning them.  Gary Skiba offered to do a survey prior to gassing the rodents.   He suggested doing the survey over by Robin’s lot and along the roadway.  David will contact exterminators of prairie dogs for costs and applications.
  • BP Amoco – After a brief discussion it was agreed that Gary will follow up with BP on uncompleted work.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM.

Robin Boucher, Secretary