Metro – April 5, 2017

REGULAR MEETING – April 5, 2017

 The El Rancho Florida Metropolitan District held their regular monthly meeting on April 5, 2017 at 6:00 PM.   The following Board members attended the meeting:

Steve Swisher – President
Robin Boucher – Vice President
David Shipps – Treasurer
Mike Arries – Secretary
Jim Belcher- Director

Also, present for the meeting were: Ed Tolin, Representative of La Plata Archuleta Water District;  Robert Ludwig & Tom Riley – water operators; Rex Emenegger – grader operator and Marsha Moreland – administrator.  The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM.


Ed Tolin, the representative for La Plata Archuleta Water District (LPAWD), came to discuss the possibility of a ‘Memo of Understanding’ between the districts on water service in emergency situations.  Their line along CR 510 is at 160 psi.  They are currently tied into the Durango and Bayfield feeds already.  El Ranchos Florida (ERF) could offer a 200 psi pressure pump with a pressure reducer to the lowest areas in ERF giving them much better water pressure.  Robert asked the Board for $500-$600 to pull some preliminary costs together for ERF. When the pump house is upgraded on Oxford Place it should cover most concerns for both of the Districts.  A ‘blow off’ valve and a small 2” hydrant at the pump house is where LPAWD would pull water for fire flows.  Ed and Robert stated that with the Districts working together as ‘emergency connected systems’ it should qualify the project for grant money when it becomes available.  Goff could be working on the footprints, sizing pumps, and getting estimates for the project.  The Board agreed to go ahead with the foot print and then meet again in September to touch base again with LAWD.


A motion was made, moved and passed to approve the minutes of March 1, 2017 regular meeting.


  1. The water loss report came in at 15% loss. Tom and Robert will be walking the system looking for any situations that may be showing a leak.  There were a few pressure complaints at homes in the subdivision.  The owners in those areas will need to put in pressure pumps.
  2. Tom Riley reported that he forgot to send in samples for March. It will come out as a ‘Failure to monitor violation.’  The Health Department has been notified.  Tom assured the Board that it will not happen again.
  3. Bonds Construction will be giving a ‘start’ date for mobilizing equipment for the road project. They will do the two hydrants that have not been by Shipps and Arries properties.
  4. Robert will order a valve this month as he will be doing hydrant flushing. The Board can expect a little higher water loss due to the flushing in April.  The Fire Department will also be color coding the hydrants in the subdivision as to water flow/pressure.  This will eliminate the possibility of them collapsing a line when pulling from the hydrants.


  1. Accounts Receivable report was mailed out in advance of the meeting.
  2. Accounts Payables – A motion was made and passed approving the payables.
  3. The 2016 Audit Exemption was filed electronically with DOLA and CWAPA.


The hydrant at Scoty Bowman’s, 253 Valley Place, was too close to his driveway making it difficult to access when turning in.  Mr. Bowman will reimburse the District for gravel and time for widening the access there.  Rex recommends that no hydrants are placed near driveways or intersections.

Rex stated that the Valley Trail/Valley Place road upgrade is completed.  It looks good, but the Board feels it still needs a little dressing up in areas.  Rex informed the Board that he could do the road work for much cheaper than Bonds will be doing it for the District throughout the subdivision.  The Board told Rex that they are concerned with the product that Rex would be laying down, the longevity of the completed project and the timeliness of completion.  It is still the decision of the Board to go with Bonds Construction for the subdivision road upgrades.  While it is a lot of money for Bonds Construction to do the project, they will do it professionally.


Weed Control – Jim Belcher informed the Board that there are a lot of thistle rosettes in the common area in Unit II.  He suggested that spraying be done the end of April, early May.  Jim and Robin will determine the areas needing spraying and begin as soon as possible.

David Shipps informed Marsha and the other Board members that he will not be present for the June meeting.

There being no new business the meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM.

Mike Arries, Secretary