Metro – April 4, 2018

REGULAR MEETING – April 4, 2018


The El Rancho Florida Metropolitan District held their regular monthly meeting on April 4, 2018 at 6:00 PM.   The following Board members attended the meeting:

Steve Swisher – President
Robin Boucher – Vice President
David Shipps – Treasurer
Mike Arries – SecretaryJim Belcher – Director

Also, present for the meeting were: Robert Ludwig and Tom Riley – water operators; Rex Emenegger – grader operator, Marsha Moreland – administrator and Sonny Hale – prospective Board member.  The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM.  The meeting opened at 6:00 PM.


The March 7, 2018 minutes were approved.


Tom Riley reported that the meters were mostly read in March.  Tom would like to replace ‘old’ meters that have high numbers.  He has purchase a kit that he can repair meters with.  Some of the meters that were overestimated are reading ‘0’ for the March reading.

The aquifer is doing 30 gpm when it used to do 250 gpm.  Robert feels that as soon as the ditches start running again it will pick back up.  He will also do a check on the dilution levels from fertilizers; just to be sure all is within the normal parameters.  There could be water restrictions this season.  A notice should go out stating NO gardens this season due to possible water restrictions.

Robert informed the board that it had been 10 years since the tank level was calibrated.  The ‘pressure sensor’ needs replacing.  Tom and Robert will be doing some ‘spring’ cleaning in the old pump house for storage.


The tap is in now so if there is a ‘need’ either side could benefit.  The agreement needs to be finalized with Bud Smith’s help.   Steve and Robert will get together with Bud on the particulars of the agreement.  Both districts are working on it and it should be forthcoming.


To do the remaining cul-de-sacs it is about $400,000.  Robert needs the help of the Board to meet with Ken Charles to apply for DOLA grant.  There are 3 grant cycles this year.  Steve will contact Ken Charles to help with the application process.


There will be ‘hydrant’ training with the Fire Department soon since the District’s system is in the area for them to shuttle water from.  The training will be in the next 3 weeks.


  1. Accounts Payable – The payables were reviewed and a motion was made, seconded and passed approving them.
  2. Accounts Receivable – Only one account needs attention. Marsha explained that she has spoken with individuals regarding the balance.
  3. Audit Exemption –The exemption has been filed with DOLA.
    Election Cancellation –Notice went in the Durango Herald, DOLA and the County Clerk.


A Century Link line was cut.  Locates were called for but Century Links’ line was not 18” deep. It was right in the top 2 inches of dirt.   (See attached pictures).  Rex does not feel the District should have to pay the $463.19 charged by Century Link.

No snow, no grading, no maintenance and no rain in March.

Robin reported the ‘mag’ application needs to have the temperature just right before applying it.

Roads to be done are Ranchos Florida Drive and Cassidy Drive only in 2018.  David Shipps would like to water put down on the entrance road from CR 222 to the bridge.

There need to be more speed limit signs from CR 222 to CR 510.  A motion was made, moved and passed directing Rex to put down a speed depression prior to the mag being applied to use as a ‘test’ with the residents.  There needs to be ‘speed bump’ signs on either side for drivers coming from either direction.  They should be put up 2 weeks prior to the bumps being put in.  It would be a good idea to have orange barrels there as well.

Rex updated the Board on the size (32’x 12’) and cost of the Tuff Shed at $13,017.  Estimate to do the electric and finish out the inside will run approximately another $10,000.  Steve stated he is concerned about vandalism.  There would be no way to replace the ‘historic’ paper files that are not on the computer.  He tabled action until he has had more of an opportunity to go over the details since he has missed a couple of meeting where there was discussion.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

Mike Arries, Secretary