EL RANCHO FLORIDA METROPOLITAN DISTRICT
REGULAR MEETING – NOVEMBER 16, 2015
The Board of Directors of the El Rancho Florida Metropolitan District held their regular meeting for November on the 16th, 2015, at 6:00 PM. The meeting was held at the business office at 755 E. 2nd. Avenue, Durango, Co. Those Board members present were:
Steve Swisher – President
Robin Boucher – Secretary
David Shipp – Treasurer
Also present for the meeting were: Robert Ludwig – Water Operator, Rex Emenegger – Grader Operator and Marsha Moreland – Administrator. The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM.
A motion was made, moved and passed approving the minutes as written for October 12th and September 2, 2015.
The Distribution Project went great but the road base budget within the project itself ran over the amount budgeted due to rock encountered. The Board discussed in October, having to do a transfer of funds from the Enterprise Fund to the Road Fund to cover the cost of bringing the roads back into shape after the impacts from the water improvement project.
A motion was made, moved and passed to amend the previous amount to transfer of $10,000 to the Distribution Improvement Project impacts.
Robert explained that the grant application will be postponed until October of 2016 since the Engineer did not have an adequate amount of time to compile information from suppliers on the costs involved.
The Master Meter was not read the end of October. The Board stressed the need to have the meter read each month in order to have an accurate report from Marsha on the water loss calculations. As soon as the meter is read and sent to Marsha she will get Robert the numbers he needs for the State reports.
There will be a Sanitary Survey in 2016. With the last one there were not issues so Robert is not anticipating that there would be any in 2016. There was a brief discussion on ‘backflow prevention’ in the subdivision. Robert does not feel it is necessary for the District to incur those costs since there are no backflow situations in the subdivision.
The As-builts are being done and can be sent in a PDF form to the Directors, office and residents. Two hydrants still need to be raised yet.
HOA BOARD SUGGESTION TO METRO, BOARD ON COMBINING SERVICES:
Rex explained that with the problem of getting residents to serve on both boards perhaps it would be beneficial for there to be one board to serve both the HOA and Metro. District and therefore combine services.
Steve explained that the Metro. District is set up judicially different than the HOA. They cannot co-mingle funds or collect fees for the HOA. The Metro. District is not a ‘homeowner’ and therefore cannot enforce Covenants or Rules and Regulations dictated by the HOA. The HOA board needs to request more involvement by the residents to serve on the Board of Directors for the HOA. The idea has come up in discussion before and the answer is the same. Special District law does not allow the District to function on be-half of the HOA’s duties as a combined board.
- Marsha and the Board discussed the Board member appointment process defined by the State of Colorado. Notice to residents of vacancies, eligibility requirements and then the Board reviews the letters received and appoints replacements to fill the vacancies. The vacancies are filled until the next regular election in May of 2016. When the vacancies are filled the board will re-appoint officers.
- Accounts Payable report was reviewed and a motion was made, moved and passed to pay the bills submitted to the Board with the exception of the Williams Construction check until Bruce Honisch gives the OK to release the check.
- Accounts receivable report: Marsha stated that there was once disconnect notice sent out for November.
- 2015 Budget Update and 2016 Budget discussion. There followed a lengthy discussion on revisions to the 2016 Budget. It was agreed to transfer $55,000 to the Road Fund from the Enterprise Fund for 2016 due to the impacts to the roads on the Water , instead of $10,000 previously discussed. The Board increased the amount in the Enterprise Fund. – Distribution System: Line Repairs/Hydrants by $2,000 for raising the 2 hydrants discussed previously. Made adjustments to line items in the Road Fund as discussed with Rex. The amount for gravel in the Road Fund was increased to $70,000 which should bring the roads back up to where they were prior to construction. She will increase the amount for Mag. Chloride application in 2016 by $6,000 to list $14,000 for Mag. Marsha will make the necessary adjustments to actual numbers for 2015 and send all residents a copy of the budget and Budget Hearing notice for December 2nd.
- Discussed the need to send a letter to Juliana on the lots being designated as ‘single’ family taps in the subdivision and that the Board has been alerted to the fact that she may have a ‘multiple’ family situation going on that constitutes a ‘Multi-Family’ tap fee. The District does not have a structure for anything but ‘Single’ Family taps as defined in the Service Plan approved by La Plata County Commissioners. The Water System was approved.
- The Board approved giving a bonus to the employees as defined in the meeting.
Rex expressed concern about the District’s liability if a resident hits a fire hydrant. Steve explained the liability is on the driver of the car, not the District. This was discussed with Bud Smith the District’s Attorney.
There being no further discussion the meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM.