Metro – November 29, 2018

REGULAR MEETING – November 29, 2018

 The El Rancho Florida Metropolitan District held their regular monthly meeting on November 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM, immediately following the Budget Hearing.  There were no residents in attendance at the hearing.  The following Board members attended the meeting:

Steve Swisher – President
Robin Boucher – Vice President
Jim Belcher – Secretary
David Shipps – Treasurer
Ken Charles

Also, present for the meeting were:  Robert Ludwig and Tom Riley – Water Operators; Rex Emenegger – grader operator and Marsha Moreland – administrator were also present.  The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM.


A motion on the minutes of October 3 was postponed until the full board could look at them.


  1. System Updates: The meeting Tom Riley had with the Colorado Dept. of Health and Enviornment showed the Health Department is concerned about the chlorine retention time the District has in the water delivery system.   After a brief discussion it was agreed that Tom would up the Chlorine a little bit to 1.8 ppm, however, he is still waiting for the Health Departments’ recommendations.  Robert said that the Health Department had signed off on the system design when the chlorine retention time was discussed previous, about 9 years ago. Ken Charles asked when the last methane testing was done.  He would like to have the test done for a base line.   It has been tested in the past but it has been awhile.

The Mortimer tap at 35 Ute Place was being done earlier today.  Mike Waters of WC, Inc. was doing the work for the main line extension and the meter pit connection.  Robert & Tom stated it is going to be an expensive installation due to the amount of rock in the area involved.

The chlorine meter needs replacing at the pump house.  The colorimeter is clogging up regularly and Tom feels he can do replacement parts for a while, or the board can approve replacing the pump now.  A new meter will run approximately $3400.  The pump has been in service for 8 years and they usually only last for 5 years.  It was agreed to replace the pump now.

The well is running at 35 gpm instead of 50 gpm.  Both Robert and Tom are concerned about volume of water should it be another dry winter, spring and summer.  The Board should be considering the water hydrant with La Plata Archuleta sooner than later.

With the change-over of Tom being the ‘Operator in Charge’ at the beginning of 2019 for the District’s water system, Tom stated that he would like to have an assistant to help him out.  Robert will be available for consultation and project, and of course any emergencies that come up.

  1. System Improvements: As soon as the District finds out if they have been awarded any grant money the Phase 3 of the Pipeline project is ready to begin the process.  After Steve’s meeting with DOLA in Burlington, it is obvious that there is a shortage of money available and a lot of grant applicants.  The awards may only be ‘partial’ if at all.  The application is for a Tier 2 grant.

Tom stated that Goff Engineering had the Design Plans completed but that depending on the amount, if at all, of the grant there may need to be revisions to the plans.  There should be a decision the week of December 4th on the awards.


  1. Accounts Payable were approved as reviewed, see attached listing.
  2. Accounts Receivable list will be mailed out with the minutes of the October meeting and the water loss report.
  3. Update on Latham’s request:  no more has been heard from Latham.  Rex Emenegger, HOA President, suggested that the District fence off the boundary between the Tribal and the Subdivision.  Fencing could cost approximately $4600 for 570’ of fence installed.  It should also be posted with signs saying, “No Trespassing”.  The board passed a motion to give Rex an OK to go ahead with the fencing project not to exceed $5,000 after getting bids.  Rex stated it is a small project and not many want to do fencing this time of year.  He did only get the one bid from Brother’s Fencing after talking with another fencing company, Valley Fencing.
  4.    The notice for the Budget Hearing will be published twice before November 29th  and there were no residents in attendance at the hearing prior to this meeting.  Marsha  will have updated budget numbers for the Board’s review at the next meeting.

1) A motion was made, moved and passed adopting the resolution to approve the 2019 Budget.

2)  A motion was made, moved and passed adopting the resolution to appropriate the sums of money in 2019.

3)  A motion was made, moved and passed adopting the resolution setting the 2019 mill levy at 23.841 mills.


  1. Road Maintenance Update – Rex emailed his report to the board and Marsha prior to the meeting.   There followed a brief discussion on maintenance needed to be done the grader before it snows. The grader will need a new block heater.  Advantage Repair may do the work on the heater block and then new coolant will be added.  He will have to call them to see if they can do the work.


  1. Common Area Report – Rex informed the Metro board that the HOA board agreed to contribute $4200 for common area maintenance:  Porta Potty, trash, maintenance by Tom Biessenberger and gate repair and maintenance.  The Metro board accepted the contribution and is to be included in the 2019 Budget numbers.


  1. A motion was made, moved and passed to give all employees a $100 Bonus for Christmas.
  2. Florida Mesa Planning and The Citizens of Florida Mesa met but NO progress made with the FMP group.  Communication is broken between the two organizations because of the different views of the future for the Florida Mesa.  A County Planning meeting will be held at the county administration building on December 6th at 6:00 PM.  Marsha will send out an email notice to the residents informing them of the importance of their attendance at that meeting.  Jim will draft up the notice to be sent out and email it to Marsha.


  1. Agreement with La Plata Archuleta Water District on Emergency Hydrant.
  2. Contact SkyWertz on wireless service for the District. Marsha will contact them to see if they are still interested.

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Jim Belcher, Secretary